Sunday, June 10, 2012

Akwaaba!!

Akwaaba! That means "you are welcome" in Twi and I have certainly been welcomed to Ghana by many wonderful people since my arrival. I landed in Accra and stayed at the International Student Hostel on the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital campus. Last week, I moved to Apam, which is where I'll stay for the remainder of my trip, except for the occasional weekend trip to Accra of course! Apam is a smaller town on the coast with a population of approximately 26,000 people. Since I'll be doing research at the Apam Catholic Hospital, I'm staying in one of the guest houses on the hospital compound.



The house I'm living in for the summer


Our house has air conditioning and two large water tanks in addition to the regular water supply so I've been far more comfortable than anticipated! I've gotten to know many of the people working at the hospital and am making great headway on the research project. I've finished observations and field notes and plan to begin interviews next week! The observations have been quite helpful because it's really allowed the staff and patients to get accustomed to my presence while allowing me to get my bearings also. I've also observed many births, which has been very exciting, nerve-wracking, and honestly a little scary! 


The front of the Apam Catholic Hospital


So thus far, I'm having a very wonderful experience in Ghana! I'll be updating shortly with more about traveling around Accra and my trip to Cape Coast slave castle and Kakum National Park! 


Mehunu wo akyire!


~J

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you to have this experience. I know I am reading about it now but I can't wait to hear all about it in person.

    ReplyDelete